Budget Gesso Recipe

Hey Crafty Friends! 

I am the Design Team Coordinator for Jen Evers and KoalaTCrafts. Jen recently shared a technique making DIY Washi tape and then, in part 2, we used the tape to create some quick cards. There were lots of questions about Gesso in that live session so I wanted to share my budget friendly DIY recipe and some tips.


You can see the video HERE 



What is Gesso and how do you use it? 
Gesso is thinner than paint, it dries hard, making a surface more stiff.  Think of gesso as a primer. It is a first layer. It is commonly used on canvas to give the surface texture and the paint something to adhere to. Without it, paint soaks into the weave of the canvas and it is difficult to get consistent results.  Jen applied a thin layer of gesso to Masking Tape for the purpose of the project in the video. It can also be applied to surfaces such as canvas, paper, chipboard, vinyl records, wood, and others prepping them to accept acrylic paint, ink, watercolor, or even marker. 

Apply & Let it Dry! 
You can use a heat tool to speed this process along, being mindful your original surface and how reacts to heat.  It is better to use thin layers. For something thin and less porous, like masking tape, a single thin layer is enough to give the paint a nice foundation to stick to. 

When prepping canvas or large surface for painting, make sure it is clean and free of dirt and oil. Alcohol on a rag or paper towel for a quick wipe down is generally sufficient; you don't want the surface to be wet with alcohol, use a light touch.   Apply a thin layer of gesso to your surface working in all one direction, vertical or horizontal, and allow this layer to dry. Apply a 2nd layer going the opposite direction and allow it to dry. You can lightly sand between layers for a smoother surface, or you can go over the area multiple times with layers of gesso to add extra texture, this is common in multi media projects.  * TIP *  Make it a thicker consistency with less water to use as a texture paste. This works well in thin layers applied with an old gift card over stencils. Wash your stencils, brushes and tools after applying and before it dries!  I keep a wash tub filled with a small amount of water (maybe 2 inches) on my craft table to pop my tools into as I'm working with any texture paste.

There are many brands of Gesso avail be to buy at art supply stores and it generally comes in White, Back or Clear.

Here is my quick and easy, dollar store DIY Gesso Recipe:

1/2 Cup Baby Powder
4 Tablespoons School Glue 2 Tablespoon Acrylic Paint
2 Tablespoon Water (I use bottled)

Add water slowly stirring well with a wooden craft stick or plastic knife as you go to avoid lumps.

I mix and store my gesso and texture pastes in a plastic or glass container with an airtight lid. 

You can increase the quantity for large projects, adding the water slowly to get the consistency that is right for you.  White or Black is most common for the Paint choice as it will tint the Gesso, you can mix up white and add any color paint if you want to have a specific color background.  Keep in mind the darker you go with the gesso color, the more paint it takes to cover.

My Shimmer Spray DIY Recipe can be found HERE

Happy Crafting Y'all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

BlueMoonScrapbooking

BlueMoonScrapbooking showcases the newest and best scrapbooking companies, Basic Grey, Tim Holtz, 7gypsies, Tattered Angels, Webster's Pages, Graphic 45 and MORE! We showcase the products with VIDEO and offer FREE Shipping for orders over $50.00.

Featured Post

Memory Dex Digital Cut Files

Read about my Etsy Shop  HERE .  Hello my crafty friends! I have been busy working on new designs and templates and cut files to sha...

About Me

I'm a Texas mom of adult kids who has been playing with paper my entire life. I love to create! What's more, I find that I am overall a happier person when I spend time creating things. Be it Art, Food or Decorations. I am an event coordinator by profession and have used my skills to create elaborate room designs, tablescapes, invitations and favors for weddings, parties of every occasion, fundraisers and corporate events. I create jewelry, stained glass and paintings but mostly, I love paper! Many of my projects are for others as gifts or swaps with other creative people I am blessed to call friends. I use tools to create pattern paper and embellishments to get the most bang for my buck. In my blog, I share my creations along with tips, tricks, techniques and tools used to get specific effects.